Denver, Colorado—the Mile High City
The City and County of Denver is the largest city and capital of the US State of Colorado. Denver is also the second most populous county in Colorado, looking over the Great Plains just east of the majestic Rocky Mountains.
Denver is nicknamed the Mile-High City because its official elevation is exactly one mile or 5,280 feet (1,609.3m) above sea level, making it one of the highest major cities in the United States.
The City of Denver, Colorado has become a western vacation Mecca, hosting visitors from around the world. Rocky Mountain National Park is just an hour away and Colorado ski resorts are all within easy reach. Denver features lots of fun things to do for families, couples and singles including art galleries, museums, historic tours and loads of outdoor activities.
Facts about Denver
- Denver has a population of more than 634,000 (23rd most populous city in the USA)
- The mountainous area of Colorado is six times the size of Switzerland, containing 9,600 miles of fishing streams, 2,850 lakes, and more than 1,000 peaks two miles high
- Denver has more than 300 days of sunshine a year (more hours than Miami or San Diego)
- Denver is home to the largest city park system in the US with over 200 parks, 90 golf courses and 650 miles of paved trails
- Denver has one of the largest ‘Green Fleet’ programs in the nation with more than 50% of their public transportation fleet powered by alternatives
World-class attractions. Natural wonders. A thriving arts scene. Dozens of innovative and acclaimed restaurants. Nightlife options galore. The word is getting out – Denver’s got it all. While you are in town, you hopefully will have some extra time to discover the best that the Mile High City has to offer. Check out some customized itineraries, explore a few locals’ favorites and transform your time in Denver into a trip you will never forgot. Click on the link below for further information on
- Things to Do in Denver
- Noteworthy Restaurants
- Discounts & Coupons
- Free Visitors Guide
- Discounted tickets for Colorado Rockies
- Discounted tickets for Denver Center Performing Arts
Taste of Colorado
A Taste of Colorado is a free, four-day outdoor festival held annually in Downtown Denver’s Civic Center Park on Labor Day weekend (September 4 – 7, 2015), as the Festival of Mountain and Plain, a celebration of pioneer days.
Typically drawing over 500,000 visitors a year, A Taste of Colorado includes over 50 booths operated by local food establishments. The event also features seven music stages, arts and crafts vendors, kids’ activities and carnival rides, and interactive exhibits.
For more information, please visit the festival website.